When we checked in for our flight today, we were disappointed to see that we were not all seated together. But then Claire asked to sit with her daddy, and I thrilled at the thought of sitting by myself on an airplane for the first time in 2 1/2 years! Little did I know, Jesse was the one who won the lottery. I was seated next to one of the most annoying airline passengers of all time.
I am the kind of person who will put in earphones, read my book, and give off as many Leave-Me-Alone vibes as possible when flying. I am not interested in making friends on flights. Of course, that is not so much of a concern since I had kids – now there’s no need to discourage people from engaging with me. Most passengers give me little more than the hairy eyeball as I board with my toddler…
But not this guy. Oh no. When I sat down, I immediately closed my eyes and tried to sleep – such a luxury! But this guy kept poking my arm, nearly a dozen times during the short 40 minute flight… I now present you with the top ten annoying reasons the guy sitting next to me on today’s flight decided to disturb me, in the order they occurred:
– to shake my hand and tell me his name
– to offer me gum
– to ask me the time
– to ask me the time again
– to grab my wrist to look at my watch himself
– to ask me if there’s wi-fi at 28,000 ft
– to ask me how “powerful” my phone is
– to reach over and touch the buttons on my phone himself (really???)
– to reach over and open & close my tray table – TWICE
– to try to climb over my pregnant belly once landed, while still taxiing, seatbelt sign still on (a major pet peeve of mine – just wait, for Pete’s sake!)
Add to this that the guy still stunk of last night’s alcohol, and was spilling into part of my own seat – I was not a happy traveler today. And Claire? She was a sweet little angel for the whole flight. Hubby really did win the lottery today…
Stay tuned for a happier post about our amazing trip to the Kenyan coast this week!