A day at Lake Naivasha: Fired Earth and Elementaita Weavers

We went back to Lake Naivasha this weekend with my parents, who are visiting from the US. While we were there, we went to visit the local artisans at Fired Earth and Elementaita Weavers.

Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 10

Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 07 Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 05

Fired Earth is a small pottery workshop, owned by the portly Obadiah. He was trained at Bakuli Blue (which you’ll know of if you’ve been to the Nairobi Christmas fairs), and now he offers his own style of clay pottery, with signature nature themes. We already had a gorgeous Fired Earth covered pot that I use to make oven baked beans and this weekend I added a beautiful teal serving bowl to my collection! Obadiah will also take custom orders, which he can even deliver to you in Nairobi when they’re done.

Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 09 Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 08 Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 06

On the same plot, we found Elementaita Weavers, a local weaving cooperative that makes lovely handwoven fabrics. They dye their own wool, spin it, and weave it on traditional looms in their workshop. Watching these guys work is fascinating, and I’m amazed at what can be done with such simple looking tools and machines.

Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 03

Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 01

The babywearer in me is excited to buy several meters of this beautiful turquoise handwoven kikoy to make a non-stretchy wrap with! I’ve been using a stretchy Moby wrap from time to time to wear Heidi, who thus far prefers to sleep while held. I’m getting used to how to do different carries and ties, and I’m really excited to try out a handwoven wrap! If I get familiar enough with wrapping, I might even try wearing Heidi in a back carry!

Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 02 Watermarked Photo Fired Earth 04

Of course we stayed at my favorite Lake Naivasha spot, Dea’s Gardens (which I’ve written about here and here), and my mom LOVED it. Jesse, Claire, Heidi and I stayed in a huge family room in the main house, and my mom and stepfather enjoyed a quiet little rondavel-style cabin by the pool. We all ate way too much of Dea’s delicious homemade food, and enjoyed the birds and peaceful setting.

Watermarked Photo Dea 05

My mom and stepfather are heading back to the US this week, and I’m already dreading their departure. 🙁 To make matters worse, Jesse will also be heading out on his first work trip since Heidi was born! Wish me luck, wrangling two kids on my own for the first time!

This entry was posted in Travels and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A day at Lake Naivasha: Fired Earth and Elementaita Weavers

1. Bola says:

going to naivasha very soon with some family. can you pls tell us where to find Fire Earth or contact number? thank sin advance

• MamaMgeni says:

Bola, if you email me through the contact page, I can send you the mobile number for Obadiah, the owner of Fired Earth! It’s on South Lake Road, just past the small town of Karagita. Look for a hand-painted wooden sign on your right. I think it reads, “Elementaita Weavers” and “Pottery.”

2. Donna Smith says:

Mama Mgeni,

I loved reading your article and hope that you are doing great as a family! I hope you will forward the mobile number for Obidiah and the weavers as we want to invite them to showcase their wares at the Hats and Boots Country Festival 14 March at Ngong Race Course in Nairobi.

There crafts are lovely, local and would add so much to the festivities and offerings of the day.

If you are aware of other artisans that may be interested, we are organizing vendors now.

Thanks!

Donna

• Mama Mgeni says:

Hi Donna, that sounds like a wonderful event! If you send me an email through the contact link (http://mamamgeni.com/contact/), I will send you Obadiah’s contact information! I will also let you know about others who might be a good fit! Thanks for your comment!

3. Thank you Mama Mgeni for your beautiful blog!

Would love to get in touch with Fired Earth as well. Kindly do forward their contacts?

Warm regards,
    Eryll J. Sharma
    INTERIOR DESIGNER

4. Lauri Hedberg says:

Greetings! This is my first comment here so I just wanted
    to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums
    that deal with the same subjects? Thanks!

5. joseph nyuthe says:

Hi Mama mgeni thanks for your good post i was I
    lmpressed by good work of weaving and pottery. well i am a potter based in Laikipia county and i would to have the contact of Obadiah. Thanks for a well handmade products.

6. Carol Korschen says:

I am looking for some one who makes the beautiful hand woven plain kikoys – I need to buy up to 100. for the hotel and my shop.
    Thank you. I can send a photo of you let have your email address and or whats app.
    thank you so much. Carol

7. Mary Gachiengu says:

Hi Mama Mgeni. I know its 2years since you wrote this article but I googled Elementaita Weavers and this blog came up. Fantastic piece…Will check out Dea’s gardens as well. Kindly send me the contact for Elementaita Gardens. Would like to get some carpets. Kindly send me their contacts

8. Monique says:

Hi I loved this post, thank you! Can you please send me the contact details for Fired Earth and Elementaita Weavers as I’m heading that way soon.

Comments are closed.